Thursday, September 4, 2008

lipstick

"I was just your average hockey mom. I love those hockey moms, you know, they say, what is the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."



After returning home from a barbecue Monday night, I turned on my recording of E! to catch up on what I'd missed over the long weekend, and was surprised by John McCain's choice for VP. While I had hopes of a McCain/Romney ticket, I was grew more and more excited as I googled Sarah Palin. I waited, however, to hear her speech at the Republican Convention last night, and I've grown from excited to ecstatic!
I know politics are a taboo subject, here are some of the reasons I will vote for McCain/Palin...

On Family:

From the inside, no family ever seems typical.

That’s how it is with us.

Our family has the same ups and downs as any other ... the same challenges and the same joys.

Sometimes even the greatest joys bring challenge.

..........

On Government Spending:

While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor’s office that I didn’t believe our citizens should have to pay for.

That luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay.

I also drive myself to work.

And I thought we could muddle through without the governor’s personal chef - although I’ve got to admit that sometimes my kids sure miss her. I came to office promising to control spending - by request if possible and by veto if necessary.

..........

On Barack Obama:


This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting, and never use the word ”victory” except when he’s talking about his own campaign. But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed ... when the roar of the crowd fades away ... when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot - what exactly is our opponent’s plan? What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he’s done turning back the waters and healing the planet? The answer is to make government bigger ... take more of your money ... give you more orders from Washington ... and to reduce the strength of America in a dangerous world.

..........

On John McCain:

In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers.

And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.

To the most powerful office on earth, he would bring the compassion that comes from having once been powerless ... the wisdom that comes even to the captives, by the grace of God ... the special confidence of those who have seen evil, and seen how evil is overcome.

A fellow prisoner of war, a man named Tom Moe of Lancaster, Ohio, recalls looking through a pin-hole in his cell door as Lieutenant Commander John McCain was led down the hallway, by the guards, day after day.

As the story is told, ”When McCain shuffled back from torturous interrogations, he would turn toward Moe’s door and flash a grin and thumbs up” - as if to say, ”We’re going to pull through this.” My fellow Americans, that is the kind of man America needs to see us through these next four years.

For a season, a gifted speaker can inspire with his words.

For a lifetime, John McCain has inspired with his deeds.

If character is the measure in this election ... and hope the theme ... and change the goal we share, then I ask you to join our cause.

15 comments:

H said...

Dito! I loved her even before she spoke, then she rocked that speech-awesome!

susanjeane said...

I have to agree - I became very excited and would probably prefer her to be president over McCain!

Susan

Trinity said...

I too listened to Sarah Palin's speech last night. I was very impressed by her. I truly hope it will be enough to beat Obama. I'm just not sure most of American men will be ready for a Hockey Mom to be VP.

Camille said...

See did an awesome job!! I can't wait to hear her debate with Biden, she is going to rock!

Kelly said...

Obama is just scary. I hope she will be enough for McCain to win.

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

I really liked her too, especially when she talked about family. Everyone has secrets & problems so I am glad she isn't one to try to hide the fact that they struggle.

I got teary eyed when she said for all the parents with special need kids, they would now have a voice in the white house.

Michelle said...

I love her - what an inspiring woman! I got goosebumps listening to her last night and I got goosebumps again reading what she said!

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing that. She really did such a great job. McCain was so smart to choose her.

Brady did tell me that story. I felt better knowing a professional had done it too. That was actually the second time I had done it, maybe that is why it bummed me out so bad. The first time was the day before his first day of teaching. He totally went to school as a first year teacher with a bald spot.

Brittney Sloan Anderson said...

Mccall I am so glad you put this on. No one likes to talk about politics. I love it. I think McCain might have a chance with her. It is awesome. It scares me to think of Obama leading our country.

Brittney Sloan Anderson said...

I love that you put Cake on for your music I haven't listen to them forever.

bethi said...

I 'read' her speech last night! (i didnt even try to listen to it...too noisy in this house). I was truly impressed!

Megan Andersen said...

I really like her too! I was unsure between McCain & Obama before she came into the picture--but thank goodness she did, cuz now I know who I want to vote for!!

Melissa said...

I agree! She really is a down to earth Mom that you and I can relate to. She is smart and got a spunk that I just love. I hope she is the 1st V.P. Women rock!

KA said...

I wish I was there to sit in your chair and chat about Palin and really tick somebody off. PS...Did you hear how pro-voucher McCain is?

Taylors said...

Amen Sister!